By following the simple sanitation and structural recommendations listed below you can make a big difference in avoiding a fruit fly infestation.
- Inspect incoming fruits and vegetables for signs of rot and small flies, and cover them upon receipt.
- Store produce under refrigeration when possible, or in sealable plastic tubs.
- Rinse out empty bottles and cans, and clean garbage containers daily. Use plastic liners.
- Keep garbage areas clean and away from the building when possible; close receptacles with tight-fitting covers.
- Keep the exterior dumpster pad free of spillage and debris.
- Repair areas damaged by water.
- Eliminate standing water, weeds, and tall grass near the facility.
- Clear clutter and items stored on the ground.
- Inspect, seal, and maintain doors in good condition. Keep doors closed, or use double-door vestibules, air doors, or plastic strip doors where needed.
- Install 20 mesh screens on any open windows.
- Eliminate interior standing water and accumulated condensation, and use fans in areas conducive to standing water.
- Replace cracked floor tiles and missing grout, and repair plumbing and drain problems.
- Regularly inspect for and repair cracks in flooring to prevent seepage below.
Sanitation issues are a major contributor to small fly problems. Make sure your staff is:
- Cleaning and sanitizing floors and around drains, disposals, and sinks daily:
- Inspect and sweep thoroughly under appliances, counters, and cook lines.
- Scrub floors using a stiff brush with an industrial floor cleaner. Squeegee all debris and dispose of in the trash; do not dispose of organic debris in drains.
- Mop the floor using a sanitizer approved for food and non-food surface application.
- Cleaning drains weekly
- Clean drains and traps using an industrial drain cleaner and a stiff long-handled brush.
- Use a “snake” device in clogged drains to clean out all gelatinous material.
- Disposing of rotting organic matter.
- Performing periodic deep cleaning beneath lines and equipment.
- Cleaning rags and mop heads daily and before storing.
If flies persist after a thorough cleaning, Ecolab can help with treatment and ongoing protection.